Bengali mustard chicken. In this rustic Bengali chicken curry chicken is cooked using Mustard Paste and of course in Mustard Oil. And the bold pungent punch of mustard is balanced with the heat from fresh green chilli and mild sweetness from coconut milk. To prepare Bengali style chicken curry recipe, start off by marinating the chicken.
It's an ideal accompaniment to rice or roti. Marinate cut chicken with salt, turmeric, and red chili powder. Grind the soaked mustard seeds with the green chili, coconut, and ¼ cup water. Nowdays, you should can boil Bengali mustard chicken using 15 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how the way you achieve it.
Ingredients of Bengali mustard chicken
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/2 kg of Chicken.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, ground.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of chilli powder.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard seeds.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of black mustard seeds.
- You need 1 of green chilli, chopped.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of coconut.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of water.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of mustard oil.
- It’s 2 of cloves.
- You need 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar.
- You need 2 of whole green chilies (optional).
- You need 1/2 cup of yoghurt.
- You need As needed of chopped coriander for garnish (optional).
Heat mustard oil in a wok or deep frying pan on medium heat. Mustard is an acquired taste because of its high pungency and bitterness and few will appreciate this in chicken curries. But you have to be Bengali to appreciate the true essence of mustard and in my myopic vision, only Bengalis know how to handle the mustard and its heat. This chicken curry recipe yields tender chicken pieces in a hot, flavourful, stew-like jhol (curry).
Bengali mustard chicken step by step
- Soak mustard seeds in a quarter cup of water for 20 minutes. Cut chicken in the meantime into 1-11/2 inch chunks. Marinate cut chicken with salt, turmeric and red chilli powder..
- Grind the soaked mustard seeds with the green chilli, coconut and water..
- Heat mustard oil in a wok or deep frying pan on medium heat. Add sugar, and sauté for about 30 seconds until sugar caramelizes. Add cloves, stir and add chicken. (Don’t wait to long on sugar as the oil is very hot and sugar may crystallize again)..
- Stir fry chicken for 5-6 minutes, until cooked through. (For additional flavor, add 2-3 whole green chilies at this point.).
- Now lower the heat, add mustard paste and cover. Stir occasionally. Allow to cook for 4-5 minutes..
- Garnish with chopped coriander if desired. Serve with rice..
The defining characteristic of the Bengali-style chicken curry is the presence of potatoes, which, when cooked in the curry, become soft and succulent, full of all the juicy goodness of the curry. Bengali Doi Murgi or Bengali Chicken Curry is a delicious bengali style chicken curry where chicken is cooked in a spicy yogurt sauce.. Mustard oil is also loaded with tons of health benefits, from promoting heart health to improving blood circulation, making it an ideal oil to cook with. Rup's Cooking Masti presenting to you a lip smacking Bengali Chicken Curry, Mustard Chicken. The pungent flavor of Mustard Seeds go perfectly well with this Chicken Curry and can be taken with.