Bengali chicken Curry or Murgir jhol. This chicken curry recipe yields tender chicken pieces in a hot, flavourful, stew-like jhol (curry). It is so versatile that it can be eaten with rice/roti. Every Bengali family loves their Murgir Jhol.
Using big pieces of potatoes in meat curries is a signature for Bengalis which is not seen elsewhere. This Bengali Murgir Jhol recipe calls for a delectable gathering around the lunch table where the family can come together and share their happiness over a wholesome meal. There is nothing called authentic BengalChicken Curry recipe. Nowdays, you should can prepare Bengali chicken Curry or Murgir jhol using 19 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how the way you achieve that.
Ingredients of Bengali chicken Curry or Murgir jhol
- You need 700 grams of chicken.
- You need 4 of big sized potatoes.
- You need 1 of large tomato.
- You need 4 of slit green chillies.
- You need 2 tablespoons of ginger-garlic paste.
- It’s 1 cup of chopped onion.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of cumin powder.
- You need 1 tablespoon of Coriendar powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tablespoon of red chilli powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of mustard oil.
- You need 2 of cloves.
- You need 2 cups of water.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder.
- It’s 1 of cinnamon stick.
- Prepare 2 of cardamoms.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
Every family has its own recipe for cooking this chicken curry. Bengali chicken curry done restaurant style brings home cooking to the next level. Back then it was called murgir jhol. How to make Bengali Murgir Jhol (Bengali Chicken Curry).
Bengali chicken Curry or Murgir jhol step by step
- Wash the chicken pieces properly add some turmeric powder and little bit of salt..
- Heat oil in a Kadhai and fry the potato pieces with little bit of turmeric powder and salt..
- Potato is now golden colour then remove from dark and keep aside..
- Heat some more oil then add bay leaf, whole Garam Masala and cumin seeds. Fry on medium heat..
- Shallow fry in the chicken pieces and keep aside..
- Then and chopped onion and ginger garlic paste saute until the onion turns colour..
- Now add green chillies and tomator till the tomato become soft..
- Then add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, Tomato sauce and required salt and stir for 2 minutes on medium flame..
- Now add the fried chicken and potato, mix well.
- Properly mix chicken, potato and masala then add 3 cups of warm water and bring it to boil.
- When boiling starts then cover the lid. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes on low flame.
- After 25 mins open the lid and check if the chicken is well cooked and the consistency of the gravy.
- Then chicken curry is almost done switch off the flame and add garam masala powder. Mix.
- Serve Bengali style chicken curry or murgir jhol with your choice of steamed rice or roti..
A versatile chicken dish, this Bengali Bengali Murgir Jhol is a delicious and common dish in Bengali households. A simple and light dish often made during sunday lunch, it is typically served with steamed rice, roti, naans or parathas. Jhol in Bengal refers to a mildly spiced thin stew kind of preparation with either just vegetables, or fish/egg/meat as the main ingredient. This recipe may be done with chicken (Murgir Jhol), lamb or goat. Goat meat is popularly used, but if it is not available, it may be substituted with lamb.