Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken. Any crockpot I have ever used tends to steam as it cooks. That does not result in anything being crisp. This is the best General Tso chicken recipe.
This homemade slow cooker version is healthier than your typical takeout, but still just as tasty! Great recipe for Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken. My General Tso's is kind of a copycat of a local family owned Chinese restaurant. Nowdays, you should can make Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how the way you prepare it.
Ingredients of Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken
- It’s 1 1/2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast.
- It’s 3 of garlic cloves minced.
- You need 1 tsp of fresh ginger minced.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of ketchup.
- It’s 3 tbsp of hoisin sauce.
- It’s 3 tbsp of brown sugar.
- You need 1/2 cup of teriaki glaze.
- You need 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of corn starch.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar.
- You need 1 tsp of sesame oil.
- Prepare of Sesame seeds and green onion for garnish.
Once I tasted theirs I had to make it at home. The crockpot method is great for making a lot for a group. Add broccoli and cook for an additional hour. Serve over brown rice (count brown rice separately from nutrition facts of this recipe).
Crockpot (or not) General Tso's Chicken step by step
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and toss in corn starch and black pepper. I use a large ziplock bag..
- Brown in skillit for a few minutes..
- IN CROCKPOT: Move chicken to crockpot. Mix all other ingredients and pour over chicken. Let cook on low 3-4 hours on high 2-3 hours..
- When there is a half hour left of cooking, mix 2 tbsp of corn starch and 3 tbsp of water and add to crockpot to thicken sauce..
- STOVETOP: finish cooking the chicken in the skillet. Add the sauce in the skillit when the chicken is done. simmer untill sauce is thick..
- Sprinkle with green onion and sesame seeds for garnish and serve over rice, or with a side of steamed broccoli..
An easy General Tso's chicken recipe that yields crispy chicken without deep-frying. It also uses much less sugar while maintaining a great bold taste. To make this dish gluten-free, use tamari or coconut aminos instead of light soy sauce and dark soy sauce, use dry sherry instead of Shaoxing. Eileen Yin-Fei Lo states in her book The Chinese Kitchen that the dish originates from a simple Hunan chicken dish and that the reference to "Zongtang" was not a reference to Zuo Zongtang's given name, but rather a reference to the. My family loves General Tso's Chicken.