Halloween Kabocha Squash Gratin. Cut the top part off and scoop out the inside with a spoon. [To make. Halloween Kabocha Squash Gratin step by step. Cut the top part off and scoop out the inside with a spoon.
Halloween Kabocha Squash Au Gratin Perfect for Halloween parties. The key is to mix in the sliced cheese! It's sweet with a slightly nutty taste and its texture is like a cross between a sweet potato and a pumpkin. Nowdays, you should can produce Halloween Kabocha Squash Gratin using 13 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how the way you boil that.
Ingredients of Halloween Kabocha Squash Gratin
- It’s 1 of Kabocha squash.
- Prepare 1 of A Halloween Forest (refer to Step 3).
- Prepare of Kabocha Gratin.
- You need 25 small of Shrimp.
- You need 1 of Chicken meat.
- You need 1 of Onion.
- Prepare 1 can of White mushrooms.
- You need 1 of Consomme soup stock cube.
- Prepare 40 of to 50 grams Butter.
- It’s 40 of to 50 grams White flour.
- It’s 500 of to 600 ml Milk.
- You need 100 grams of Macaroni (optional).
- Prepare 1 of Salt and pepper.
I have to admit I had never even attempted to cook or bake with it before (it was a little too intimidating for me!) but it found its way into my CSA basket and I had to. Halloween Kabocha Squash Au Gratin Perfect for Halloween parties. The key is to mix in the sliced cheese! Saute the onion and bacon with olive oil.
Halloween Kabocha Squash Gratin instructions
- Heat the kabocha in the microwave until it's tender enough to carve with a knife (I microwaved it for 10 minutes, flipped it over and microwaved for another 10 minutes. Depending on the size, 6 minutes each side may be enough)..
- Cut the top part off and scoop out the inside with a spoon..
- [To make the Halloween forest] Place the lid upside down and put into the hollowed kabocha. Make a mountain out of mashed potatoes, and stick in stalks of parsley and rosemary..
- Sculpt a pumpkin out of the scooped-out kabocha flesh. Cut out a carrot hat and lay it on top of a boiled egg jack-o'-lantern. Make a house out of daikon radish and nori seaweed. Construct a gravestone out of konnyaku and cheese. Spread a pavement of nuts and seeds..
- [To make the kabocha gratin] Microwave the scooped-out flesh from Step 2..
- Melt butter in a pot, sauté the shrimp and chicken cut into desired sizes, add the thinly sliced onions, then the mushrooms..
- Once the onions are tender, remove the pot from heat, add flour, then mix thoroughly with a spatula..
- Mix in milk a little at a time, stirring in as you go, then add a consomme cube..
- Return the pot to heat and simmer until you reach your desired thickness while stirring with a spatula. Season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Add the kabocha from Step 5 and the gratin is finished. You can also add cooked macaroni at this stage..
- Pour the gratin into the kabocha shell from Step 2, after it has cooled down. (If it's too full, the lid will not close, so add more when you bake it in the oven.).
Mix in the flour, and add in the soy milk in small batches. Add sliced cheese and mix everything together. Season generously with salt and pepper and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. The outstanding texture and sweetness of Kabocha are what make this gratin shine. Not only does it add so much more flavor and heartiness to the entire dish, but the bright vivid orange flesh also gives the gratin an extra holiday touch.