Traditional Kerala Chicken Dum Biriyani.
Nowdays, you should can have Traditional Kerala Chicken Dum Biriyani using 23 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how the way you prepare it.
Ingredients of Traditional Kerala Chicken Dum Biriyani
- You need of For Rice.
- Prepare 1 kg of Basmati Rice.
- You need 1 tbsp of Whole spices (cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves).
- You need of Juice of one large lemon.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Ghee.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare of For Gravy.
- It’s 1 kg of Chicken.
- You need 4 of onion sliced.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of ginger, garlic, green chilli paste.
- It’s 2 of large Tomato.
- Prepare 1/2-1 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Garam masala.
- Prepare of Paste of 1/2 cup cashewnut, 1/2cup coconut and 1tbsp curd.
- It’s 1 cup of mint and coriander leaves.
- It’s 2 tbsp of veg oil.
- It’s of For Dum.
- You need 3 drops of Pineapple essence / fresh grated pineapple.
- It’s 3 tbsp of ghee.
- You need 1 cup of mint and coriander leaves.
- You need 1 cup of garnishing mix (mentioned below).
- It’s of For Garnishing.
- Prepare of Fry (1 onion, 1tbsp cup cashewnut and 1tbsp Raisins).
Traditional Kerala Chicken Dum Biriyani instructions
- Wash and Soak the rice for 30 mins. In a large pot boil water and add whole spices, ghee and salt. Add the soaked rice. When the rice is almost cooked add lemon juice. Strain the rice from water. *Important: (Rice should not be completely cooked as it will be cooked again in dum). Keep the cooked rice aside..
- Now time for Gravy. Heat a large pan. Pour oil saute onion with some salt. When the onion changes colour and becomes soft add ginger,garlic, chilli paste and saute till raw smell goes. Add chopped tomatoes and saute. When tomatoes are well cooked, add turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Saute well. When the masala is cooked add cleaned Chicken. Mix well with masala. Add chopped mint and coriander leaves and cook. When half cooked add coconut cashew paste (mentioned along ingredients)..
- Combine well and cook until the gravy thickens and chicken is well cooked. Now the gravy is Ready..
- It's time for dum now. Take a large biriyani pot. Heat to make sure there is no presence of water in it. Now take away from flame. Into the pot add 2tsp ghee and grease the base of the pot well..
- Add a thick layer of rice above the rice add another layer of gravy above that sprinkle some mint and Coriander leaves, ghee, pineapple essence and garnish mix (mentioned along ingredients). Repeat the process until u finish layering complete rice and gravy..
- When you finish layering add a tbsp of garam masala and close well with a lid such that the steam will not escape..
- Keep the pot on a low flame for dum upto 30 mins..
- After 30 mins you perfect chicken Dum biriyani is ready..